The Holy Quran
What Is the Qur'an?
Al-Qurʾān literally meaning "the recitation"; also is the central religious text of Islam, which Muslims believe to be a revelation from God (Allah). It is widely regarded as the finest work in classical Arabic literature. The Quran is divided into chapters (surah in Arabic), which are then divided into verses (ayah).
Muslims believe that the Quran was verbally revealed by God to Muhammad through the angel Gabriel (Jibril), gradually over a period of approximately 23 years, beginning on 22 December 609 CE, when Muhammad was 40, and concluding in 632, the year of his death.Muslims regard the Qur'an as the most important miracle of Muhammad, a proof of his prophethood, and the culmination of a series of divine messages that started with the messages revealed to Adam and ended with Muhammad. The word "Qur'an" occurs some 70 times in the text of the Quran, although different names and words are also said to be references to the Qur'an.
Every human being looks for guidance or some form of success. Allah (The Lord Creator) addresses this concern in the Qur'an, the Book of guidance for all human beings. In the first chapter of the Qur'an titled "The Fatihah" (The Opener) it reads:
1. Praise be to Allah, lord of all systems of knowledge of all the worlds
2. The Merciful Benefactor, The Merciful Redeemer
3. Master of the Day of Judgement
4. You alone we worship, and You alone we seek for help.
5. Guide us the straight way.
6. The way of those whom you have blessed, to the way of those on whom is Your Anger, nor those who are a stray.
In the second chapter [sura], title The Cow, it reads:
1. Alif Laaam Meeem
2. This is the Book in which there is no doubt; guidance for those who guard themselves against sins and harmful things.
3. Those who believe in the unseen, and establish the ritual pray [salaah], and spend on others.
4. And themselves from what we have provided for them.
5. And those who believe in what has been revealed to you and what has been revealed before you.
6. And they have certainty in the Next Life.
7. It is they who have guidance from their Lord, and it is they who are the successful
To study the Holy Qur'an on-line, go to: